Prep Time 15 mins Cook Time 30 mins
Made with creamy basil pesto, fresh tuna or high quality canned Italian canned tuna and cherry tomatoes, this tuna and pesto malloreddus recipe is a fabulous authentic seafood pasta recipe from the island of San Pietro, off the coast of Sardinia. It’s perfect for any occasion and can be eaten as a pasta salad too!
· 400 g malloreddus (Sardinian gnocchi) - Try our La Molisana Gnocchi Sardo (Malloreddus in Sardo)
· 300 g fresh tuna (10-11oz) or canned tuna - Try Simpatico’s Chef del Mare Italian Canned Tuna Belly… Delicious!
· 15-20 cherry tomatoes cut into halves or quarters
· 1 onion small
· 1/2 glass white wine - Try our Sardinian La Cala Vermentino from Sella & Mosca (Drink this wine with the Pasta!)
· salt for pasta and to taste (Try our Sardinian Sea Salt)
· black pepper to taste
· 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Try our Sardinian Olio from Giuseppe Fois. Rich and Complex!
Make the alla Carlofortina sauce
1. Peel and chop the onion. Cut the tuna into small cubes (if using fresh or frozen tuna) Wash the tomatoes and cut into halves or quarters.
2. Fry the finely chopped onion in olive oil in a skillet or deep frying pan until it starts to soften. Add the chopped tuna and brown it on all sides then add the white wine and let the alcohol evaporate. At the end add the halved cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook on a medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
Cook the pasta.
1. While the sauce is cooking, put a pot of water onto boil for the pasta. Add salt once it starts to boil and bring to the boil again. Cook the pasta al dente according to the instructions on the packet. When the pasta is ready, save a cup of the cooking water and drain. Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well.
2. Add the pesto to the pasta and sauce and mix well again. If it seems dry, add a spoonful of the saved pasta cooking water. Serve immediately.
You can make pasta alla carlofortina with other short pasta like cavatelli, orecchiette, or even spaghetti.